In our last blog, we focused on Tempurpedic mattresses and its benefits. Today, we’ll focus on Serta and its interesting answer to Tempurpedic’s patented Tempur Material.
Serta is the number one mattress company in the United States. It gained that title over the past few years by out performing Sealy and others. Serta’s “counting sheep” marketing campaign has also been very effective.
Serta tries to answer the five primary reasons people are not happy with their mattresses.
1. Tossing and turning
2. Lack of support, leading to back pain
3. Sleeping too hot or too cold
4. Partner disturbance
5. Mattress roll-off or sag
To prevent edge breakdown, most of Serta’s traditional mattresses now include a foam encasement around the edge of the bed. This is something to look for when you’re shopping around — make sure you’re comparing apples to apples.
Serta has gained significant ground in competing in the memory foam market as well. The Icomfort and Iseries mattresses solve almost all of the five problems listed above and are Serta’s answer to Tempurpedic. The Icomfort is an all-foam product with one stand-out benefit – a balanced sleeping temperature. Icomfort and Iseries mattresses contain a top layer of cool action memory foam designed to take the heat away from your body. It won’t make you cold, according to Serta, it just won’t let you get too hot. The Iseries mattresses are unique in that they are a hybrid — part foam, part inner spring. You get the conforming feel of a foam mattress with the initial bounce of a spring when you jump into bed. For the details on the hybrid technology, click HERE.
In the end, however, its all about comfort. All of the name brand mattresses will provide support. The question is, which mattress feels better. Some retailers like American Mattress, have a comfort guarantee. You have 30, 90 or 120 days to exchange the mattress, depending on the brand, and get one you feel would better suit you.
Foam and hybrid beds do have a different feel and for some, it might take getting used to.
Here are some tips for selecting the right mattress from Serta.com
Top 10 Tips for Selecting the Right New Mattress
1. Get enough rest before you shop for a mattress – Shop when you are well rested so you will make the best possible decision. According to a number of studies, sleep deprivation causes attention lapses, slower recall and poor concentration. According to Serta’s Comfort U survey, “Americans Wake Up to Sleep Loss,” less than 10 percent of Americans get the eight hours of sleep a night that research shows to be most beneficial.
2. Let your fingers do the walking – Serta’s Web site is full of information that will tell you about the construction of our mattresses and explain their features and benefits. We offer a wide array of material designed to make mattress shopping easier, including videos showing the inner construction and benefits of Serta mattresses – all written in easy-to-understand terms. Also, if you type in your ZIP code, our Serta Store Locator will provide a list of Serta mattress dealers in your area as well as a map and contact information to help you reach them.
3. Know yourself – In the sea of mattresses that you may see in a retail store, there are basically three comfort preferences: soft (Pillow Top), plush and firm. There are also varying forms of the Pillow Top, including the Euro Top. Once you know which “feel” you prefer, you will have effectively eliminated two thirds of the mattresses in the store. This gives you the chance to concentrate on the mattresses that really will be comfortable for you.
4. Concentrate on comfort – Learn about the support system (innerspring or foam) when you do your Internet research, then focus on what feels comfortable to you when you go mattress shopping. Remember, a good support system provides good support whether your mattress is a pillow top, plush or firm. Keep in mind that a comfortable mattress will help you fall asleep at night – and if you’re like most adults today, you need all the rest you can get.
5. Buy a brand name you trust – When you buy a mattress, remember that you are buying a good night’s sleep, not just a place to shut your eyes. That’s why it’s wise to purchase a brand that you know and trust – one that’s earned a solid reputation with consumers over a number of decades. Serta has been making the World’s Best Mattress™ for more than 75 years. We are a global company dedicated to delivering the highest quality products to our customers. Serta’s Limited Warranty protects your purchase against manufacturing defects, so you can feel confident with your Serta product for years to come.
6. Buy from a retailer you trust – When shopping for a mattress, go only to retailers that you trust and learn what you will get with your purchase. Additional buying incentives often include free delivery and removing your current mattress from your home. All retailers listed in Serta’s Store Locator are authorized Serta retailers.
7. Put price in perspective – Mattress buying is the most important decision you will make in furnishing your home, since you and your loved ones will spend close to one-third of your lives sleeping on your mattresses. The average buying cycle for a mattress today is between 7 and 10 years. For a mattress that costs $1,000, this comes out to approximately three cents a day. Aim to buy the best mattress you can for the money. Serta proudly offers quality products for every type of budget.
8. Wear comfortable, loose fitting clothes – Try out the mattresses with the comfort feel that you most want – soft (Pillow Top), plush or firm. Lie on the bed; turn back and forth as you would if you were going to sleep. Shop with your partner to be sure that you both like the comfort feel of the mattress.
9. Consider your space – Fifteen years ago, twin and full-size mattresses were the most popular sizes sold at retail, but not anymore. People are realizing that they need more room when they sleep. As a result, queen mattresses have become the best seller, and more and more couples are buying king mattresses as well. Make sure that your mattress will give you plenty of room to stretch out.
10. Invest in a safe mattress and buy the set – The mattress flammability standard, 16 CFR Part 1633, went into effect on July 1, 2007. Fire tests show that, in many cases, a 1633-compliant mattress that is used with a pre-standard box spring will fail the standard’s testing requirements. So mixing a new mattress with an old foundation may pose a safety risk to consumers. The mattress and foundation should both be replaced, as a set, at the same time. Serta has been manufacturing its mattresses and box springs to this standard using our FireBlocker® system since 2005. If you have any questions about whether or not your mattress and/or box spring meets the federal standard, please visithttp://www.mattressregulation.org/.